A list of things to keep in mind on the next interview.
- Ask to see a portfolio, if not available online
- Ask to see some of the code of the best/lead developer, this will be the best expectation
- Ask to see the version control log and unit test log, dont fall for ‘yes, we have/do that’
- Ask that the best/lead developer be present at the interview
- Make sure the best/lead developer is better than you, else you will be doing his job
- Ask to see some run of the mill code, any random snippet
- Ask them to be very precise on the responsibilities of the applied position, make them contractual
- Ask to look at their DB structures
- Ask to see architectural and design documentation
Once done with the above list, and you are happy, proceed with a normal interview, else say “thanks, but not interested”.