Posted by: leppie | January 3, 2011

MTN/HTC service nightmare (updated 10 feb)

Sadly I had to escalate my service issues to Unfortunately, they only have place for 1200 characters. Here is the entire service experience:

beginning nov: call MTN regarding the availability of advertised phone (HTC Desire HD), no stock
22 nov: eligible for upgrade, MTN says still no stock
30 nov: get call from MTN to say phone is now in stock, proceed upgrade process
2 dec: receive phone (very fast courier service)
2-5 dec: phone has a random reboot problem
6-10 dec: reboot problem stops
11-13 dec: reboot problem comes back
13 dec: report fault with MTNSP and Leaf/HTC (HTC confirms it is a known problem affecting a few phones)
13 dec: phone service get suspended due to account going over R1000, yet the account was only R635, had to increase limit to get activated again
15 dec: took phone into shop (Capegate A, James), said I needed the papers to make repair process go faster
15 dec: went home to fetch papers, tried to book in phone (Capegate A), at last minute MTN system goes offline
15 dec: go to the other shop (Capegate B, Dominique) to do a manual check in for repairs, assistant says she will tell her manager to prioritize it
23 dec: call MTN high volume repair centre for update on repairs, they say they have not received it
23 dec: go back to MTN shop (Capegate B), phone still in the shop, take phone back with me due to lack of service
29 dec: call MTN to discuss service issues, advised to go to MTN service centre in Century City
29 dec: book in phone at MTN service centre (Century City, Sakeena/Francisco), system offline again (MTN TFR# 020149)
31 dec: I changed my bank details when doing the upgrade, yet the money was taken from previous account details
3 jan: called MTN to change banking details, they confirm the change
3 jan: call MTN high volume repair centre for update on repairs, phone has not been booked in yet
3 jan: call MTN service centre (Century City) to find out what is happening, number forwards to 808, no info available
3 jan: called same number again (Century City), got through to someone (Cheryl, the switchboard operator) that says I cannot contact Century City directly, they have open an enquiry for the location of my phone
3 jan: reported to hellopeter out of desperation
3 jan: MTN responded on with a generic remark which is hardly relevant
3 jan: Cannot contact MTN service centre (Century City), due to broken number (17:15, 17:30, 17:45)
3 jan: Sent this shittogram to the only 2 email addresses advertised for MTN
4 jan: Try call MTN service centre (Century City) again, again Cheryl answers and let me know she will try get someone to contact me
4 jan: Cheryl calls me back to let me know she has reached Sakeena at the service centre and will be in contact with me
4 jan: Sakeena calls me back, and informs me Francisco has taken over the issue, but he is not at work today, but she will ask him to contact me the following day
4 jan: Received feedback on email to confirm my banking details are in order, and my issue has been forwarded to the complaints department
6 jan: Gave feedback on hellopeter
6 jan: Contacted MTN HV repair centre, they confirm the phone has been sent to HTC, and should be back on Monday or Tuesday
10 jan: Called MTN HV repair centre, no further feedback available
10 jan: Called HTC, they can’t confirm receipt of phone, escalating issue, promised to call me back
11 jan: Called MTN HV repair centre (Thepo), apparently phone has been returned to cape town, but no repair actions were logged, waiting for feedback
11 jan: Thepo called, confirmed phone is at HTC, will be ready before end of the week
11 jan: Called HTC (Chris), informed them I wanted to make sure they find the fault, and not just reload the software. Chris informed me the issue will be escalated to his supervisor, and that they will be in contact with me
13 jan: Called MTN HV repair centre (Nolene), phone still at HTC, no further feedback
17 jan: Called MTN HV repair centre (Thepo), phone still at HTC, ‘should’ be back to MTN today
18 jan: Called MTN HV repair centre (Mpho), phone still at HTC, awaiting couriers to MTN
18 jan: Called HTC support (James) to try get a repair report, was told I will get it when collecting the phone
19 jan: Called MTN HV repair centre (Helen), phone was collected from HTC by RTT (assume this is the couriers), not at MTN HVRC yet
20 jan: Phoned everyone from MTN HVRC in JHB and CPT, called LEAF and RTT. The phone is being sent overnite to the CPT HVRC (confirmed by RTT) and that will take several working days before being sent to MTN Century City… Estimate around 25 jan.
25 jan: Expecting to get phone back today
25 jan: Been in contact with MTN HVRC Cape Town manager (Kevin) who confirmed the phone will be at MTN Century City after 1pm. Informed me that Leaf/HTC did not include a job card with the phone.
25 jan: Contacted HTC support (Chris), have no information about phone repairs
25 jan: Contacted Leaf Repairs, they tell me the software was updated and no other repairs was done… Spoke to Amit to explain the situation, demanding a replacement phone before the end of the week. He cannot make that decision and told me that the manager (Zach) will contact me tomorrow.
25 jan: Collected the phone at MTN Century City, spoke with Kevin and Noleen about my problems. While there, the phone rebooted 3 times, witnessed by Kevin. There was a repair report from LEAF stating only software was reloaded. Seems no other work was done.
25 jan: Tested a spare backup battery to eliminate the possibility of a faulty battery, but had a reboot within 2 hours after a full charge

25 jan: Still waiting for my phone call from Francisco/feedback regarding complaint from MTN, waiting on feedback from HTC (HTC said a repair report will be attached to the phone, never did get back to me…) and waiting for HTC to contact me on or before Friday.

27 jan: Contacted LEAF’s technical manager to discuss problems. They arranged for ‘express’ repair service. Told them they had to replace the mainboard (as was done with others in my situation).
28 jan: Courier collected phone.
1 feb: LEAF contacts me to inform overnight courier. Phone ‘will’ be back tomorrow.
2 feb: Courier delivered the phone this morning with a new mainboard. Will be testing today. Finally after 42 days, I hope I can lay this fiasco to rest.

10 feb: All going well still. No hardware problems.

On 2 Feb, total time phone been @ MTN/HTC = 42 days, @ me = 20 days since receiving the phone. That sucks… 😦

Finally, I have an idea where me phone is, not too happy still, but less stressed. Tomorrow I will see if the phone has actually reached the HV repair centre.

I must say Cheryl, the switchboard operator for MTN (Century City) has been by far the kindest and most helpful person in this whole fiasco. Someone make her a manager or give her a raise/bonus, she deserves it. Sakeena has also tried to help. The MTN HVRC (Cape Town) manager, Kevin has been extremely helpful too in tracking down my phone.



  1. Get the full name of someone who should be taking responsibility for this, and include it in the hellopeter complaint description. Tell them about it. This usually motivates people to try a little harder

    • I have dealt with about 20 different people… gets tiring when having to explain the entire story again. 😦

  2. I have had my MTN number since MTN started. 1980’s??? I am now retired and only family member left in S.A. I only keep my cell for emergencies – putting in R60.00 every couple of months. I never make social calls but return the very occasional call from an old friend. He is very well off and always says. “Put down your phone. I’ll phone you back – and I gratefully accept In September 2010 I had just “topped up” with R100.00 at MTN Bayside Cape Town. A couple of days later I got to the phone too late. When I called back, that “Officious Female Voice that never lets one get a word in, simply said, “You have insufficient funds to make this call. The same happened in October, Novemvber & December 2010. Yesterday I went to Bayside for the third time to report the theft of my airtime. She said it was not possible that my airtime could be diverted. So I bought a new phone, had the MTN tecnician there put in my old card and load R100.00 once again. I was ASSURED MOST POSITIVELY THAT MY AIRTIME WOULD NOT GO MISSING EVER AGAIN. Two hours +/- I noticed I had missed a call – and I confidently dialed the number of the missed call. You guessed it! That arrogant superior voice said sarcastically, yet again, “You have insufficient funds to make this call”. Help please. I am in poor health and at any6 time might need to call paramedics or an ambulance. If anyone can help, please do so. My cell number is in the website box

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s


%d bloggers like this: